The Central Okanagan Celebrates Heritage Week 2014, February 17 – 23
Monday February 17:
- Heritage Week Kick-off Breakfast. With guest speaker Ann Bostock. Hosted by the Central Okanagan Heritage Society and Rutland Residents Association at the Central Okanagan Sailing Association, 4220 Hobson Road. Suggested donation $5. 8:00 a.m. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Presentations to Kelowna City Council by the Central Okanagan Heritage Society on Heritage Week activities & by the Kelowna Heritage Grants Program. Supporters are encouraged to attend Council Chambers at 1435 Water Street. 1:30 p.m.
- Guided Tour of Lake Country Museum. Tours also available on Wednesday February 19 and Saturday February 22. 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. 11255 Okanagan Centre Road West. By donation. 250-766-0111
Tuesday February 18:
- Preschool Storytime at the EECO. Free storytime for children ages 3-5 and their caregivers. Hear stories and make old-fashioned walnut shell boats. Presented by Regional Parks Services at the EECO, 2363A Springfield Road. 10:00 a.m. 250-469-6140.
- Conservation Workshop. Do you have a precious paper item that you would like to preserve? Join the Kelowna Museums’ Curator of Collections for a Conservation Workshop and make a preservation pocket for your memories. Registration is a must. Suggested donation $3. 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.-7:00p.m. 470 Queensway Avenue. 250-763-2417
Wednesday February 19:
- Lunchbox Lecture Series. Join Peter Ord, Curator of Penticton Museum, for a talk about the S.S. Sicamous at the Okanagan Heritage Museum, 470 Queensway Avenue. By donation. 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. 250-763-2417
- Goldfinger: Charles Sydney Goldman. Lake Country Museum invites you to the launch of a new exhibit case. Introduction and talk by Museum Curator, Dan Bruce. Lake Country Museum, 11255 Okanagan Centre Road West. Admission by donation. 7:00 p.m. 250-766-0111
Thursday February 20:
- 30th Annual Heritage Awards & Central Okanagan Heritage Society Annual General Meeting. The public is welcome to attend. Benvoulin Heritage Church, 2279 Benvoulin Road. 7:00 p.m. email@example.com
Friday February 21:
- Heritage Tea. Okanagan Mission Resident’s Association invites you to a Heritage Tea at the Hotel Eldorado in the Sun Room, 500 Cook Road. Tea service 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday February 22:
- Making History with Kelowna Museums. Visit the Kelowna Museums and make history come alive with fun filled activities for the whole family. For more information visit www.kelownamuseums.ca or call 250-763-2417.
Sunday February 23:
- Explore Your Parks: Scenic Canyon Regional Park. Join a Regional Parks Interpreter for this easy hike through a portion of this beautiful park. Meet at the Field Road entrance. Free. 10:00 a.m. Call to pre-register: 250-469-6139.
Tuesday to Saturday:
- Water and Play at Westbank Museum. The Westbank Museum invites you to view a display depicting the heritage of Water and Play of the West Kelowna area. 2376 Dobbin Road. By donation. 250-768-0110
All Week Long:
- Heritage on the Water. The Kelowna & District Genealogical Society presents several displays on Heritage Personalities with the theme Heritage on the Water. These displays will rotate through the following venues all week: Parkinson Recreation Centre, Okanagan Heritage Museum, and Okanagan Regional Library (Kelowna Branch).